BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 29, 2011

University of Bath Science Challenge

I guess Jun Kit has been anticipating this post, am i right?

I knew about this when Puan Rita, our A-Level coordinator briefly announced this during Academic briefing. University of Bath Science Challenge...Date, time...The prizes are : 4 winners from Malaysia will join Summer School in U of Bath in July for free! The prize attracted me undoubtedly, I like the city of Bath although I didnt visit the University during my trip to Bath. I asked Jun Kit whether he was interested and there, he submitted our names as partners and prepared nothing for the science challenge.

Until 1 week before the Science Challenge, I went to ALM Square and saw the notice about it. Dear Jun Kit didnt even noticed that while he is the one who studied there! haha..2 experiments: how to make biofuel and solar cells. The materials and apparatus provided were listed and we would need to do the experiments in the 3 hours workshop.

I was worried, How are we going to make the biofuel and solar cell ? I have totally no idea looking at the apparatus. I went to Chong Hwa and got a lot of help from Mr.Chai Ming Zhou.haha...we searched the internet and found something alike. Jun Kit read the article and he too found another article which is easier to understand.Good Job =] Thanks,Zhai Gen for helping me on the competition while it was his birthday that day. We discussed at FB and got a clear image about the BioFuel experiment.

Jun Kit came to my class on 18/1 and there we just started our 1st discussion on the experiments as partners. haha..He got another article of Solar Cells,which was so complicated and confusing for me O_O I was both nervous ad excited when the time was reaching 2pm,Jun Kit was calm on the other hand =P



Jun Kit and the solar cell

However, we were both so excited when we saw the lecturers from U of Bath entered our poor Chemistry Lab. They are the real professionals! Jun Kit peeked into the lab and saw the same apparaus we expected that we will be using.We were so joyful, imagining ourselves are in U of Bath. Ready,Get Set,GO!

After the lecturer's briefing on the Green Chemistry slides, we started our experiments. Allar..the manuals are given and we just had to follow the procedures to get our results. But the good thing is at least we did research on the topics,we had definitely gained more than the others who were unprepared, right?


 The steps seems easier than what we expected.haha..microscale.

 Biofuel, process of Transesterification of vege oil

We managed to get the results from both experiments, our biofuel and solar cell. Hooray! but this is not the REAL competition yet, this is only a Workshop. we have to make and send a Scientific Poster to U of Bath and they will depend on our poster to determine which participant can join the summer school. If the deadline is longer, I would have thought about it but the deadline is 11/2, which is only 1 week after the CNY, I dont think i will spend my time on that doing lots of research and art work. haha..Better to enjoy CNY la.



很开心可以和俊杰合作。在中华虽然同班了4年,可是都不会很熟;结果一起JPA interview,再一起进INTEC读ALM,真的很有缘份咯!但我们在不同班,很少机会见面什么的。

为什么你要当医生?
虽然我很喜欢数学,可是读数学出来不能为社会人群做些什么,读医科才能帮到更多人啊!

有被震撼和感动到,相信他的宗教信仰很深。谢谢你借我你表姐IMU的Lab coat穿,自己穿INTEC黄黄旧旧的lab coat,虽然你是被我吵+teh+强迫的。哈哈...你在INTEC ALM已成为风云人物了,什么考试都接近满分,当Genius的朋友还蛮自豪的。祝我们友谊永固啦,还有你可以当个好医生=]



p/s: That green liquid i m holding in the picture is actually not the Biofuel, it is just a solution of our chemistry lab soap. Jun Kit wanted me to cheat u guys..

1 comments:

Bavarian Baron said...

lol yeah i was looking forward to this blog entry :D im nt feng yun ren wu la aiyo...got ppl more feng yun than me la...n im nt gonna do tat poster la...its nt an intellectual competition oso lol...i look forward to more opportunities for us to work together in the future